John 3:16 Arrow For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life ^DREAM interpretation ministry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Word For Today-A Daily Update
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Welcome this change!

‘The things we can’t see now will last forever.’
2 Corinthians 4:18 MSG

The UCB Word for Today - 18 Sep 2018

We enjoy the blessings of change, but not the process of change. We’re creatures of habit.

We form our habits, and our habits form us. Then we start to see things exclusively from our own perspective.

And when that happens – we stagnate. The truth is, without change there is no growth.

When you have the right attitude every experience – positive and negative – becomes an opportunity for progress. Think about it: trees need more than sunshine to produce fruit.

Rainy seasons are productive seasons too, and they always precede the harvest. You don’t have to like rain, you just have to understand its purpose and benefits.

The Bible says that every day ‘the Lord…makes us more and more like him…we are changed into his glorious image’ (2 Corinthians 3:18 NLT). But to become like Jesus you must follow wherever He leads.

That means following Him through the wilderness of temptation, the pain of rejection, the forfeiting your reputation, the surrendering your will, and being ready to go to the place of crucifixion where you die to all forms of self-centred living. Following Jesus may mean being in a different location tomorrow than you are today.

Once you grasp this principle, you’ll stop fearing and resisting the changes taking place in your life and start seeing God at work in them. Paul says: ‘Even though on the outside it…looks like things are falling apart…on the inside…God is making new life…The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow.

But the things we can’t see now will last forever’ (2 Corinthians 4:16-18 MSG).

Isaiah 30-31, Ephesians 4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gracemohau's post:
  • pikk
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

In harness with Jesus

'You will find rest for your souls.'
Matthew 11:29 NIV

The UCB Word for Today - 19 Sep 2018

One of the greatest promises Jesus ever gave us was, 'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls' (Matthew 11:28-29 NIV).

How could Jesus talk about being yoked in a harness, which suggests hard work and about rest in the same breath? To most of us, rest means kicking back in the recliner.

That's not the kind of rest Jesus was thinking about. A yoke is a harness that goes around the necks of two oxen so they can pull a load.

Accepting Jesus' yoke is a picture of submission. It's also a picture of help because you're not pulling the load alone.

In each team of oxen one is the leader and the other follows. Jesus will take the lead but you must be yoked to Him to get the benefit.

So to enjoy intimacy with Christ, you have to bow before Him and accept His will. Jesus promises that His yoke won't choke you, it won't be wearisome or confining; you won't chafe under it.

In fact, the irony is, if you want to be truly free you must allow yourself to be yoked to Jesus by submitting your will to His. Now it's possible to accept Christ's yoke, then start pulling against it when life doesn't go the way you want it to.

Peace and rest come only when you relax in the yoke, and let Christ lead the way.

Isaiah 32-33, Ephesians 5:1-16
  • pikk
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

The blessings of obedience

‘All these blessings will come upon you…if you obey the LORD.’
Deuteronomy 28:2 NIV

The UCB Word for Today - 20 Sep 2018

In a survey hundreds of people were asked, ‘What’s the best thing that’s happened to you in the last five years?’ Amazingly, many answered, ‘Nothing.’

God’s Word promises us daily bread, daily benefits, and daily blessings, yet these people couldn’t even think of one good thing that happened to them in half a decade! What a sad way to live!

Author John Mason observes: ‘We typically see things not as they are, but as we are. By how we position ourselves, we’ll see the evidence of God everywhere or nowhere.

Too often our minds are locked on one track. We’re looking for red, so we overlook blue; we’re thinking tomorrow and God’s saying now.

We’re looking everywhere, and the answer is under our nose. When a person is positioned correctly, he’s ready to receive all God has for him.’

The Bible says, ‘All these blessings will come upon you…if you obey the Lord your God: You will be blessed in the city and…in the country. The fruit of your womb will be blessed…You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out.

The Lord will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated…They will come at you from one direction but flee…in seven…The Lord will grant you abundant prosperity…The Lord will make you the head, not the tail’ (vv. 2-13 NIV 1984 Edition).

Notice the words, ‘if you obey the Lord’. God’s love is guaranteed and unconditional. But His blessings require cooperation on your part.

So today, walk in obedience.

Isaiah 34-36, Ephesians 5:17-33
  • pikk
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Check the soil of your heart

‘The farmer plants seed by taking God’s word to others.’
Mark 4:14 NLT

The UCB Word for Today - 21 Sep 2018

In Jesus’ parable of the sower, the seed landed on four types of ground, producing four different results. ‘The seed that fell on the footpath represents those who hear the message, only to have Satan come at once and take it away.

The seed on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately receive it with joy. But since they don’t have deep roots, they don’t last long.

They fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God’s word. The seed that fell among the thorns represents others who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced.

And the seed that fell on good soil represents those who hear and accept God’s word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted’ (vv. 15-20 NLT). The seed of God’s Word cannot fail: ‘It always produces fruit’ (Isaiah 55:11 NLT).

So if God’s promises aren’t being fulfilled in your life, ask yourself, ‘What kind of soil am I?’ Are you a surface person – thin-skinned and easily offended?

A shallow person with no spiritual root system? Are you thorny ground?

Are ‘the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things’ choking the spiritual life out of you? Or are you rich, fertile ground that produces results?

Check the soil of your heart.

Isaiah 37-38, Ephesians 6
  • pikk
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Stand against discrimination

‘Their widows were being discriminated against.’
Acts 6:1 NLT

The UCB Word for Today - 22 Sep 2018

The Bible says: ‘As the believers rapidly multiplied, there were rumblings of discontent. The Greek-speaking believers complained about the Hebrew-speaking believers, saying that their widows were being discriminated against in the daily distribution of food.’

Why? Because they were outsiders.

These women didn’t grow up in Judea or Galilee. They hailed from the distant lands of Greece, Rome, and Syria.

If they spoke Aramaic at all, they did so with an accent. Consequently, they were ‘neglected’ (NKJV).

The manager of the food pantry gave Hebrew women the first pick. The food bank director separated requests into two stacks: locals and immigrants.

How did the church respond? ‘The Twelve [apostles] called a meeting of all the believers’ (v. 2 NLT).

Have you ever been to a meeting of ‘believers’ called to deal with those who are ‘being discriminated against’? Why did the apostles call such a meeting?

Because of the example Jesus set from the very outset of His ministry: ‘And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written…’ (Luke 4:17 KJV).

That day He announced the six things that God had sent Him to do:
1) Preach the gospel to the poor.
2) Heal the broken-hearted.
3) Proclaim liberty to the captives.
4) Proclaim recovery of sight to the blind. 5) Set at liberty those who are oppressed.
6) Proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.

That was the year of Jubilee when all prisoners were set free, all debts forgiven, and all that was taken from you was restored. Jesus meets every need: body, soul, and spirit.

And that’s the message you’ve been called to share with others.

Isaiah 39-40, Philippians 1
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Friends in disguise

‘I take pleasure…in the insults…I suffer for Christ.’
2 Corinthians 12:10 NLT

The UCB Word for Today - 23 Sep 2018

When you’re insulted, you can retaliate with a stinging comeback or see it as a growth opportunity. David said, ‘It is good…that I have been afflicted, that I might learn Your statutes’ (Psalm 119:71 NKJV).

Psychologist Dr Brenda Shoshanna says: ‘The person who insults us is a teacher…come to help us reduce our ego, develop patience and compassion, practise unconditional forgiveness, and teach us about life and relationships. If you don’t perceive an insult as an insult, but as a teaching or a gift, it loses its power to hurt you.

On a practical level, if you’re insulted, say nothing. Give yourself time.

Much harm is created by lashing back, escalating the situation, and saying things you may not mean. Recognise it’s your ego – that false sense of pride acting up – and don’t go along with it.’

Paul reached a place where he actually took ‘pleasure in…insults’. Most of us aren’t quite there yet, but with time and practice it can happen. .

Speaking of Judas, one author writes: ‘God sometimes manipulates the actions of our enemies to make them work as friends in order to accomplish His will in our lives. He can bless you through the worst relationships, ones that are painful or negative.

The time, effort, and pain we invest in them aren’t wasted because God knows how to make adversity feed destiny into your life. I can’t stop hurts from coming, or promise that everyone who sits at your table will be loyal.

But the sufferings of success give us direction, build character, and in the end you find grace to re-evaluate your enemies and realise that like Judas, they are friends in disguise.’

Luke 18:1-17, Psalm 97-99
  • pikk
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Retrain your brain

‘Be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him.’
Colossians 3:10 NLT

The UCB Word for Today - 24 Sep 2018

Lasting change happens gradually on the inside, often before there’s any outward evidence of it. Pastor Jim Penner says: ‘A friend of mine recently went through hip-replacement surgery…the joint had worn to the point where he walked with a limp and had to use a crutch.

Thanks to the skill of a modern-day surgeon he was quickly up and around again. Yet for months after the surgery his limp remained…I ran into him this morning and the limp was gone.

Where did it go? It had been there the day before. Had it vanished in the night? “You’re walking great,” I said. “What happened?”

His response was priceless. “My physical therapist told me I had to retrain my brain.” His brain had been trained to expect pain so he limped in anticipation.

Even when he didn’t feel the pain his brain said, “Hang on. It’s coming!”

The Bible says in Christ you become “a new creature: old things are passed away…all things are become new” (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). But you have to change your thinking by believing, accepting, and acting on it.

Christ has already done the restoration “surgery”. Just like my friend was given a new hip, God has given you a new life.

The old one is gone along with all the bad things you’ve done, thought, or said. You’re a brand-new creation.

But you have to retrain your brain to accept God’s forgiveness and the restorative work Jesus has done in your life.’ So: retrain your brain.

Isaiah 41-42, Philippians 2
  • pikk
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

God knows exactly where you are

‘He lifted me out of the pit of despair.’
Psalm 40:2 NLT

The UCB Word for Today - 25 Sep 2018

When an earthquake struck Haiti, an aid worker trapped under a collapsed hotel prayed, ‘Lord, I haven’t been in touch with You lately. Now I need You more than ever.’

He writes: ‘I heard a sound. “Who’s there?”

I shouted. “Jim,” a man replied. He and five others were trapped too.

“Would you like to pray with me?” I asked. “Yes,” he answered.

So I said, “Lord, we’re asking You for a miracle. Please rescue us.”

I was drifting off to sleep when rhythmic thumping woke me. Helicopters!

We waited, but nobody came.

I felt drained. No food and water for twenty-four hours and I needed a doctor…I closed my eyes, sure I’d never open them again…A voice shouted and I jolted awake…a survivor had contacted a rescue team through a small hole…An hour passed, then two…I banged on the wall.

No response. “I’m going to die here, and there’s nothing I can do.”

Then this thought came to my mind: Worship Me. I began singing: “Great is Thy faithfulness; morning by morning new mercies I see.”

I sang: “Be still my soul.” Praise songs…to the One who knew exactly where I was.

I felt God’s presence…and heard Him whisper, “Trust me with everything”…and I let it all go. “Your will be done, Lord”…Hours later a team of rescuers came down the elevator shaft, hoisted me to safety, and took me to the hospital.

My wife was waiting. “I thought you were dead,” she said.

“Me too,” I whispered. And I would have been if it hadn’t been for what I had with me in that dark place – like my faith that’s more alive than ever.’

Isaiah 43-44, Philippians 3
  • pikk